Score: Toronto Blue Jays Extended 5 Canada (18U) 2
Location: Bobby Mattick Complex – Dunedin, Fla.
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Royce Ando – 2B
2. Kobe Hyland – SS
3. Tristan Pompey – LF
4. Josh Naylor – 1B
5. Miles Gordon – CF
6. Demi Orimoloye – RF
7. Andrew Yerzy – DH
8. Brad Aldred – DH
9. Darren Shred – C
10. Peter Hutzal – 3B
Starting Pitcher: LHP Isaac Anesty
HOW IT HAPPENED
– The juniors opened the scoring in the top of the first as Royce Ando (Mississauga, Ont.) and Kobe Hyland (Spruce Grove, Alta.) led off the inning with back-to-back singles before clean-up hitter Josh Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) drove them both in on a single.
– The Jays got one of the runs back in the home half of the inning on a leadoff home run hit off JNT starter Isaac Anesty (Guelph, Ont.).
– The Jays took the lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth as a walk and single given up by reliever Josh Burgmann (Nanaimo, BC) came into score on a two-out double.
– In the sixth, a single followed by a run scoring double and an RBI single gave the Jays a pair of runs that increased their lead by three.
– RHP Mike Soroka (Calgary, Alta.) continues to dominate professional hitters as he turned in three perfect innings of relief that included five strikeouts
– After yielding a leadoff homer in the bottom of the first, starter Anesty was able to regroup for a solid performance on the mound. His three innings saw him allow three hits and walk, while he managed two strikeouts.
– Miles Gordon (Oakville, Ont.) kept his strong week at the plate going as he collected two hits in his three trips to the plate. Darren Shred (Brampton, Ont.) and Peter Hutzal (Calgary, Alta.) also had singles as part of the teams seven hit attack.
BY THE NUMBERS
Hits: Gordon (2/3), Ando (1/4), Hyland (1/4), Naylor (1/3), Shred (1/1), Hutzal (1/3)
Runs: 1, Ando, Hyland
RBIs: 2, Naylor
Strikeouts: 5, Soroka; 2, Anesty.
The juniors will return to ESPN Wide World of Sports tomorrow for a 1pm ET contest against pro prospects from the Houston Astros organization … LHPMatt Jones (Whitby, Ont.) is scheduled to start on the mound.