March 15th, 2016
JNT Spring: Yankees too much for juniors
By Adam Morissette
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida – The Canadian Junior National Team was on the receiving end of a 17-2 drubbing at the hands of a New York Yankees prospects squad as the Yanks clubbed four home runs en route to victory. The Yankees scored runs in six of their nine offensive at bats.
Event: Spring Training
Score: New York Yankees 17 Canada (U18) 2
Location: Walter Fuller Complex – St. Petersburg, Fla.
Canada U18 Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis – CF
2. Adam Hall – DH
3. Clayton Keyes – RF
4. Andrew Yerzy – C
5. Brad Aldred – LF
6. Michael Stovman - DH
7. Noah Naylor – DH
8. Steven Moretto – 3B
9. Soren Graversen – 1B
10. Dondrae Bremner – 2B
11. Jason Willow - SS
Starting Pitcher: LHP Jaden Griffin
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Yankees opened the scoring in the top of the first as they used a lead off walk and double to put runners on second and third before a sacrifice fly plated the first run of the ballgame. Two batters later, a two-run homer off JNT starter Jaden Griffin (Lower Sackville, NS) put the Yankees up by three.
- With reliever Tim Walters (Roberts Creek, BC) taking over for Griffin, things didn’t fare much better for the juniors in the second as a pair of walk and a one out single loaded the bases only to see a triple plate all three runner. A fly ball brought in the runner from third and the Yankees went up 7-0.
- In the fourth with Landon Leach (Pickering, Ont.) on the mound, the Yanks loaded the bases and with two out a grand slam home run put them up by 11.
- The Yankees went on to add a pair of runs in the sixth, on run in the seventh and three in the eighth coming on a solo and two run home runs.
- The juniors got their only two runs of the ballgame in the seventh as an Adam Hall (London, Ont.) double cashed in Jason Willow (Victoria, BC). Hall later scored on a wild pitch.
- Hall was a bright spot for the juniors offensively as he went 2-for-3 on the afternoon, scored a run and drove in a run.
- Soren Graversen (Calgary, Alta.) collected a double in the ninth inning, while Cooper Davis (Mississauga, Ont.) and Brad Aldred (Whitby, Ont.) had the other hits.
- After allowing four runs in the second inning, reliever Walters sat the Yankees down in order in third that included one strikeout.
- Wesley Moore (Surrey, BC) also had a scoreless frame on the mound as he worked a perfect ninth that also included a strikeout.
-The Yankees sent Jeff Degano (Surrey, BC) to the mound to start the game where he allowed one hit over two innings of work. Degano was a second round selection of the Yankees last June out Indiana State University.
Hits: 2, Hall (2/3); 1, Graversen (1/3), Davis (1/3), Aldred (1/2)
Doubles: 1, Hall, Graversen
Runs: 1, Hall, Willow
RBI: 1, Hall
Strikeouts: 3, Walters; 2, Leach, Stovman, Moore; 1, Griffin
The juniors’ spring training schedule continues Wednesday at the Walter Fuller Complex when they welcome a group of minor league prospects from the Atlanta Braves organization for a 1:05pm ET first pitch … RHP Carter Loewen (Abbotsford, BC) is expected to start for the juniors … The game can be heard live by visiting radiostpete.com.