*This story originally appeared on the Baseball Canada website on June 7, 2008
OTTAWA, ON – The Milwaukee Brewers made Brett Lawrie (Langley, B.C.) the 16th overall pick of the 2008 MLB First Year Player Draft, and thus making him the fourth highest Canadian selected in the history of the event.
When Commissioner Bud Selig uttered the 18-year-old’s name as the 16th pick, his reaction to the moment was one that would be expected.
“I was really overwhelmed by the whole situation,” says a very excited Lawrie. “It was great to have all my family and friends behind me and it’s been a fun day.”
When asked who he hugged first upon hearing his name called, Lawrie couldn’t really say.
“It was a little bit of everybody I guess. Everyone came at me so it was a little bit of everyone, it was funny. It was a really great moment in my life and I’ll cherish it forever.”
Only Adam Loewen (Surrey, B.C., 4th – 2002), Jeff Francis (North Delta, B.C., 9th – 2002) and Phillippe Aumont (Gatineau, Que., 11th – 2007) were selected higher than Lawrie in the first round as he now joins an exclusive group of Canadians.
“That part hasn’t really sunk in yet,” says Lawrie. “It’s definitely a great accomplishment and it’s been fun and all I can say is that I enjoy playing for Canada and I hope to make it with the Brewers in the big leagues someday.”
Lawrie’s stock skyrocketed this spring with his on-field performance. Just over the last few months he has been tearing the cover off the ball. He hit .700 (21-for-30) at the Junior National Team’s Spring Training camp this past April and was even better in the Dominican Summer League camp just last week where he hit .500 (17-for-34) with eight home runs (five in a doubleheader) with 24 RBI in only eight games.
“We are extremely happy for Brett and his family. It’s a deserving accomplishment for an exceptional talent and he’s earned everything he got today,” says Greg Hamilton, Director of National Teams for Baseball Canada.
Lawrie now goes to a Brewers organization with strong Canadian ties, starting from the very top with a Canadian General Manager, Doug Melvin and a Canadian Assistant GM, Gord Ash.
On the second day of the MLB draft, 31 Canadians were selected. A total of 32 Canadians were selected over the two-day event. Here are the Canadians selected on the second day of the draft:
- Andrew Albers; North Battleford, Sask. (10th round, 315th/Padres), LHP
- Brad Furdal; Ancaster, Ont. (11th round, 323rd/Rays), RHP
- David Francis; Mississauga, Ont. (12th round, 370th/Braves), RHP
- Marcel Champagnie; Bolton, Ont. (15th round, 469th/Angels), SS/OF
- Carter Morrison; Langley, B.C. (16th round, 479th/Reds), CF
- Stosh Wawrzasek; Langley, B.C. (16th round, 488th/Brewers), RHP
- Michael Crouse; Port Moody, B.C. (16th round, 489th/Blue Jays), OF
- Nick Bucci; Sarnia, Ont. (18th round, 548th/Brewers), RHP
- Jordan Meaker; Burlington, Ont. (20th round, 618th/Diamondbacks), RHP
- Mathieu Poirier; Montreal, Que. (21st round, 634th/Athletics), RHP
- Mitch Delaney; LaSalle, Ont. (21st round, 650th/Yankees), 1B
- Carter Bell; Courtenay, B.C. (22nd round, 657th/Giants), INF
- Marcus Knecht; Toronto, Ont. (23rd round, 698th/Brewers), OF
- Michael Gosse; Pitt Meadows, B.C. (23rd round, 703rd/Tigers), 2B
- Lionel Morrill; Edmonton, Alta. (24th round, 726th/Twins), OF
- Brad McElroy; St. Thomas, Ont. (25th round, 759th/Blue Jays), OF
- J.R. Robinson; Burnaby, B.C. (31st round, 939th/Blue Jays), LHP
- Jordan Lennerton; Surrey, B.C. (33rd round, 1003rd/Tigers), 1B
- François Lafreniere; St-Bruno, Que. (34th round, 1017th/Giants), RHP
- Ruddy Rio-Nunez; Montreal, Que. (35th round, 1066th/Phillies), OF
- Nick Purdy; Grafton, Ont. (36th round, 1075th/Royals), RHP/OF
- Clay Caufield; Toronto, Ont. (38th round, 1160th/Yankees), RHP
- Nick Fogarty; Richmond Hill, Ont. (40th round, 1208th/Brewers), LHP
- Benson Merritt; Smithville, Ont. (42nd round, 1259th/Reds), RHP
- George Agyapong-Mensah; Mississauga, Ont. (44th round, 1329th/Blue Jays), RF
- Jean-François Ricard; Montreal, Que. (44th round, 1334th/Mets), LHP
- David Cooper, Edmonton, Alta. (44th round, 1337th/Diamondbacks), SS
- James Kottaras; Markham, Ont. (45th round, 1357th/Brewers), 2B
- Ashton Florko; Trail, B.C. (45th round, 1359th/Cubs), LHP
- Nathan Linseman; Ariss, Ont. (45th round, 1361st/Tigers), LHP
- Leonardo Ochoa; Longeuil, Que. (48th round, 1428th/Giants), SS