April 20th, 2017
Extended Spring Training: Juniors get 14 hits in loss to Braves
By Adam Morissette
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Junior National Team brought their bats to the extended spring training opener pounding out 14 hits, but so did the Atlanta Braves prospects who had 14 of their own en route to an 8-5 win.
The Braves line-up featured 2006 National League MVP Ryan Howard who is in extended spring training after inking a minor league deal with the club.
Score: Atlanta Braves 8 Canada (U-18) 5
Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports – Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Lucas Parente - CF
2. Adam Hall – SS
3. Noah Naylor – C
4. Michael Stovman – 1B
5. Edouard Julien – 2B
6. Archer Brookman – DH
7. Dondrae Bremner – 3B
8. Rhys Cratty – LF
9. Matthew Coutney - EH
10. Victor Cerny - EH
11. Denzel Clarke – RF
12. Clayton Keyes - EH
Starting Pitcher: LHP Jack DeCooman
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A three-run homer highlighted a four run second inning for the Braves as they put up five hits off Junior National Team starter Jack DeCooman (North Vancouver, BC).
- The juniors answered back in the top of the third to score three runs courtesy of back-to-back-to-back two-out, RBI singles from Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.), Michael Stovman (Maple Ridge, BC) and Edouard Julien (Québec, Que.).
- The Braves added two runs in the home half of the frame as they got runners to second and third on a pair of singles and an infield error before both scored on an RBI single and RBI groundout.
- With Victor Cerny (Winnipeg, Man.) on third base and Lucas Parente (Burlington, Ont.) on second with two down in the fifth, Adam Hall (London, Ont.) singled to right to bring in both runners and pull the juniors to within one.
- After two scoreless innings, reliever Landon Leach (Pickering, Ont.) allowed a walk and single to put runners on the corners before a sac fly to centre brought in a run to put the Braves in front by two.
- Newcomer Matthew Coutney (Wetaskiwin, Alta.) singled in his first at-bat with the Junior National Team in the top of the second and added a one-out single, on a line to drive to right field, in the seventh to finish 2-for-3.
- Five Junior National Team members had two hit games at the plate including Stovman and Julien who also added a RBI to their stat lines.
- Leach tossed two scoreless innings in the fourth and fifth and had three strikeouts during his three-inning outing.
Hits: 2, Stovman (2/3), Julien (2/3), Coutney (2/3), Cerny (2/3), Clarke (2/3); 1, Hall (1/4), Naylor (1/2), Brookman (1/4), Bremner (1/1)
Runs: 1, Parente, Naylor, Cerny, Clarke, Keyes
RBI: 2, Hall; 1, Naylor, Stovman, Julien
Stolen Bases: 1, Bremner, Clarke, Parente
Strikeouts: 3, DeCooman, Leach; 2, Sierra
The juniors return to action against the Atlanta Braves extended spring training team tomorrow at 1pm ET at ESPN Wide World of Sports … LHP Wesley Moore (Surrey, BC) is expected to start on the mound.