Extended Spring Training: Tigers scratch-out win over juniors
April 24th, 2017
By Adam Morissette
LAKELAND, Fla, – The Junior National Team found itselves on the losing ending of a 6-3 contest against a group of prospects from the Detroit Tigers organization for the second time in three days.
The Tigers built a five run lead after five before the juniors scored two in the ninth to close the gap to three.
Reliever Tate Dearing (White Rock, BC) fired three innings of scoreless ball, surrendering just one hit while striking out four batters.
Score: Detroit Tigers 6 Canada (U-18) 3
Location: Tigers Minor League Complex – Lakeland, Fla.
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Denzel Clarke – CF
2. Edouard Julien – 2B
3. Adam Hall – 3B
4. Noah Naylor – C
5. Clayton Keyes – RF
6. Michael Stovman – DH
7. Archer Brookman – EH
8. Victor Cerny - EH
9. Dondrae Bremner - SS
10. Lucas Parente - LF
11. Matthew Coutney – 1B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Eric Cerantola
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Edouard Julien (Québec, Que.) picked up the first of two hits on the day in the top of the first on a line drive to centre and moved into scoring position on an Adam Hall (London, Ont.) groundout. With two out, Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) drilled a 2-1 pitch into centre that brought Julien in to score and the juniors led, 1-0.
- The Tigers didn’t waste anytime getting the run back as a one out double off starter Eric Cerantola (Oakville, Ont.) would later come around to score on a-fly ball to centre.
- The Tigers pulled in front in the second after back-to-back one out singles and a fielder’s choice put runners on the corners. A successful double steal brought the runner in from third.
- In the fourth, with Conor Angel (Lachine, Que.) on the mound, a walk and single put runners on first and second before Angel came up with a strikeout. After a wild pitch advanced the runners, a fly ball was misplayed by centerfielder Denzel Clarke (Pickering, Ont. ) that allowed two runs to score and put the Tigers up by three.
- The Tigers added to their lead in the fifth as two hit batters and a walk loaded the bases before a single to centre cashed in two.
- In the ninth, Julien led off with a single before Hall reached when a pitch hit him. Julien moved then moved to third on a fielder’s choice before Clayton Keyes (Calgary, Alta.) walked to load the bases for Michael Stovman (Maple Ridge, BC) who promptly delivered a single to left that scored two.
- After allowing a leadoff single in the seventh, Tate Dearing retired six batters in a row before an error allowed a runner to reach to open the ninth (the game consisted of nine full innings). Dearing their recorded two of his four strikeouts and fielded a groundout to end the inning.
- Julien was all over the box score as he recorded two hits, scored two runs and stole second base after walking in the sixth.
Hits: 2, Naylor (2/3), Julien (2/3); 1, Stovman (1/4), Cerny (1/3)
Runs: 2, Julien; 1, Naylor
Doubles: 1, Cerny, Naylor
RBI: 2, Stovman; 1, Naylor
Stolen Bases: 1, Julien
Strikeouts: 4, Dearing; 3, Cerantola, Angel
The juniors hit the road again tomorrow, this time to Dunedin and the Bobby Mattick Complex to take on a prospects squad from the Toronto Blue Jays organization for a 1pm ET first pitch.