Extended spring finale: Clarke, Julien, Naylor sparkle
Edouard Julien (Québec, Que.) singled in the Canadian Junior National Team's final game of their tour of extended spring camps. Photos: Eddie Michels.
April 29, 2017
Extended Spring Training: Juniors drop extended finale
By Adam Morissette
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida – A four run sixth inning highlighted by a two-run triple proved to be the difference as the Junior National Team dropped a 7-2 decision to an Atlanta Braves prospects squad to conclude the extended spring training camp.
Score: Atlanta Braves 7 Canada (U-18) 2
Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports – Lake Buena Vista, Fla
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Denzel Clarke – RF
2. Edouard Julien – 2B
3. Adam Hall – SS
4. Noah Naylor – C
5. Clayton Keyes – CF
6. Michael Stovman – DH
7. Dondrae Bremner – 3B
8. Lucas Parente – LF
9. Archer Brookman - EH
10. Damiano Palmegiani – 1B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Griffin Hassall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Singles from Adam Hall (London, Ont.) and Clayton Keyes (Calgary, Alta.) put runners on first and second with two out in the fourth before Michael Stovman (Maple Ridge, BC) lined a 2-1 offering into left field for an RBI single to put the juniors on top, 1-0.
- After three scoreless innings to start the game for Griffin Hassall (Newmarket, Ont.), the Braves got to him in the fourth with a run scoring on an RBI groundout before a single to right scored a Braves runner from second base.
- A two-out single to right off the bat of Edouard Julien (Québec, Que.) allowed Lucas Parente (Burlington, Ont.) to trot home from third and even things up in the top of the fifth. Parente had led off the inning with a single and ended up on third after a groundout and a single to right from Denzel Clarke (Pickering, Ont.).
- The Braves pulled ahead for good in the sixth plating four unearned runs with two out and reliever Conor Angel (Lachine, Que.) on the mound. Angel retired the first two batters he faced before a walk, single and error brought one run in. A two-run triple followed before the second error of the inning led to another Braves’ run.
- The Braves added another run in the seventh as reliever Eric Cerantola (Oakville, Ont.) issued three walks before a sac fly to right brought in the runner from third base.
- Eight players in the Junior National Team lineup recorded at least one hit as the squad accounted for 10 on the afternoon.
- Starter Hassall retired the first eight batters he faced before issuing a walk in the third. The runner was immediately nullified when catcher Naylor gunned him down trying to steal second on the first pitch Hassall threw.
Hits: 2, Clarke (2/4), Naylor (2/3); 1, Julien (1/4), Hall (1/3), Keyes (1/4), Stovman (1/4), Parente (1/2), Palmegiani (1/3)
Runs: 1, Hall, Parente
RBI: 1, Julien, Stovman
Stolen Bases: 1, Parente
Strikeouts: 4, Cerantola; 3, Hassall; 1, Angel
The next event on the Junior National Team calendar is the annual Dominican Summer League Camp schedule for May 19-27 … The camp is the final event prior to the Final Selection Camp in August where 20 athletes will be chosen to represent Canada at the WBSC U-18 World Cup in Thunder Bay, Ont. on September 1-10.