April 22nd, 2017
Extended Spring Training: Tigers double up on juniors
By Adam Morissette
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – A four run first inning was too much to overcome for the Junior National Team as they fell to a prospects squad from the Detroit Tigers organization by a score of 6-3.
Reliever Ben Abram (Georgetown, Ont.) tossed four scoreless innings on the mound, while Adam Hall (London, Ont.) paced the offence with a 2-for-4 game at the plate and scored two runs.
Score: Detroit Tigers 6 Canada (U-18) 3
Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports – Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Dondrae Bremner – 1B
2. Adam Hall – SS
3. Noah Naylor – DH
4. Clayton Keyes – CF
5. Edouard Julien – 2B
6. Damiano Palmegiani – LF
7. Rhys Cratty – EH
8. Jason Willow – 3B
9. Victor Cerny - C
10. Archer Brookman - EH
11. Denzel Clarke – RF
Starting Pitcher: LHP Harley Gollert
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Starter Harley Gollert (Toronto, ON) was on the verge of working out of a bases loaded jam in the first but a two out double scored two runs before two hit batters and a single produced another two runs.
- The juniors got on the scoreboard in the fourth and it was Edouard Julien (Québec, Que.) who came through with a fly ball to right that allowed Adam Hall to tag and score from third base. Hall had singled to short with one out and moved to third after Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) singled to centre, and Clayton Keyes (Calgary, AB) walked.
- Hall started things again in the home half of the seventh with a lead off single to left and moved to second when Naylor walked. A fielder’s choice from Keyes put runners on the corners before an error on an Julien groundball to third allowed Hall to cross home plate. Later, with Keyes on third base, a wild pitch ensued that brought the juniors to within one.
- The Tigers plated a pair of insurance runs in the top of the ninth, both coming with two out, when a two-out walk issued by Michael Stovman (Maple Ridge, BC) scored on a triple to right field before a single to centre brought in the second run of the inning.
- After the first inning, starter Harley Gollert settled in for the second and third innings facing just seven batters between the two scoreless frames. He finished his three-inning outing with three strikeouts.
- Abram provided four innings of scoreless relief leaving a pair of two-out singles on base in the fourth before getting a lineout, caught stealing a strikeout in the sixth after allowing back-to-back singles to start the frame.
Hits: 2, Hall (2/4); 1, Naylor (1/3), Keyes (1/3), Brookman (1/3)
Runs: 2, Hall; 1, Keyes
RBI: 2, Julien
Stolen Bases: 1, Bremner, Clarke, Parente
Strikeouts: 3, Gollert; 2, Abram; 1, Stovman
The juniors return to action ESPN Wide World of Sports for the second of two scheduled Intersquad games on the trip … Will Undershute (Okotoks, Alta.) and Griffin Hassall (London, Ont.) are expected to start for their respective squads … The juniors will hit the road on Monday and travel to Lakeland to take on the Tigers at their minor league complex for a Noon ET first pitch … Eric Cerantola (Oakville, Ont.) is the scheduled starter.