Red Sox edge Jrs, Whitbread tosses 3 zeros
Red Sox edge juniors in Dominican action
Score: DSL Red Sox 5, Canada (18U) 4,
Location: Boston Red Sox Dominican Complex – Guerra, DR
Weather: 31 degrees Celsius, A few clouds
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Miles Gordon - CF
2. Kobe Hyland - SS
3. JD Williams – DH
4. Josh Naylor – 1B
5. Demi Orimoloye - RF
6. Andrew Yerzy – C
7. Tristan Pompey LF
8. Royce Ando – 2B
9. Brad Aldred – 3B
10. Isaac Deveaux - DH
Starting Pitcher: RHP Tyler Whitbread
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The juniors loaded the bases in the top half of the fourth after Miles Gordon (Oakville, Ont.) reached on an error, Kobe Hyland (Spruce Grove, Alta.) singled and JD Williams (Brampton, Ont.) was hit by a pitch. Josh Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) then hit a ground ball to first base that was relayed for a double play allowing Gordon to score.
- In the fifth, with reliever Jackson Wark (St. Albert, Alta.) on the mound, the Red Sox used a walk and four hits including a two-run double to score four runs to take a three run lead.
- Not to be outdone, the juniors responded with three runs in the top of the sixth to tie the score getting an RBI double from Isaac Deveaux (Montréal, Que.), while Josh Naylor added an RBI single with two out in the inning.
- The Red Sox scored the eventual game winning run in the sixth when an error and sac bunt brought a runner to third who eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- JNT starter Tyler Whitbread (Camlachie, Ont.) was very effective in his three innings of working as he allowed only two singles and struck out one batter, while facing only 11 hitters.
- The juniors faced one of the Red Sox organizations top prospects for the first three innings in Anderson Espinoza who was regularly hitting 97 mph on the radar gun.
- The juniors only managed six hits against the Sox with Brad Aldred (Oshawa, Ont.) collecting two of them as he led off both the sixth and eighth innings with singles.
- Reliever Nick Virdo (Brampton, Ont.) worked two scoreless innings and struck out three batters all coming in the eighth inning.
Hits: 2, Aldred (2/3); 1, Hyland (1/3), Naylor (1/4), Deveaux (1/3), Shred (1/2)
Runs: 1, Gordon, Aldred, Deveaux, Shred
Doubles: 1, Deveaux
RBIs: 1, Naylor, Deveaux
Strikeouts: 3, Wark, Virdo; 1, Whitbread
THEY SAID IT
Coach Greg Hamilton on what the Dominican Summer League Camp teaches his players especially now that the trip is gearing up with eight games in the next five days: “I think for our guys it will teach you to grind it out mentally. We need the at-bats and reps and we get those opportunities down here (in the Dominican).”
The juniors will be put to the test over the next two days with back-to-back doubleheaders on the schedule … Monday, the juniors will play the Tampa Bay Rays at 10:30pm ET followed by a match-up against the New York Yankees at 2:30pm ET … RHP Brady Moxham (Oakville, Man.) is scheduled to start Game 1, while RHP Mike Soroka (Calgary, Alta.) gets the nod for game two … You can get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter.