Naylor goes deep, two more hits for Gordon in loss
Naylor homers, juniors fall to Mariners
By Adam Morissette
Score: DSL Mariners Canada 10 (18U) 3
Location: Seattle Mariners Dominican Complex – Boca Chica, DR
Weather: 31 degrees Celsius, A few clouds
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Miles Gordon - CF
2. Royce Ando - SS
3. JD Williams – 2B
4. Josh Naylor – 1B
5. Demi Orimoloye RF
6. Andrew Yerzy – C
7. Tristan Pompey - LF
8. Luke Van Rycheghem - DH
9. Brad Aldred – 3B
10. Isaac Deveaux - DH
Starting Pitcher: RHP Will McAffer
HOW IT HAPPENED
- JNT starter Will McAffer (North Vancouver, BC) allowed three consecutive one-out single in the bottom of the first setting the stage for a two-run single to left that saw a third run score on a throwing error.
- The Mariners added a run in the third as a single, error and wild pitch put a runner on third with two out before a fly ball hit to left that outfielder Tristan Pompey (Milton, Ont.) lost in the sun fell in for a run scoring double.
- In the fifth, a leadoff walk stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch that saw catcher Andrew Yerzy’s (Toronto, Ont.) throw end up in left field allowing the runner to score.
- With one out in the seventh, Yerzy stepped to the plate and drilled a double to deep centerfield and advanced to third on a Pompey single before scoring on a Mariners’ error.
- The Mariners took complete control of the game in the bottom of the inning, scoring five runs to go up by nine. Reliever Michael Brettell (Fonthill, Ont.) allowed five hits including a two run triple along with two RBI singles, while his defense committed two errors.
- After slugging four home runs in his first eight games in the Dominican, Josh Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) was at it again as he belted a two run opposite field home run that landed over the fence, just inside the foul pole in left.
- Naylor’s five home runs are becoming reminiscent of JNT alumnus Brett Lawrie’s eight home run performance in 2008. Lawrie hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Seattle Mariners on May 24th, 2008 in a legendary performance and managed three others on the trip.
- The juniors had eight hits on offence with Gordon leading the way going 2-for-4.
- The Mariners scored five runs off each of McAffer and Brettell although only two earned runs were charges to each pitcher. McAffer threw up scoreless frames in the third and fourth, while Brettell blanked the Mariners in the sixth and eighth.
Hits: 2, Gordon (2/4), Van Rycheghem (2/4); 1 Naylor (1/4), Ando (1/3), Yerzy (1/4), Pompey (1/3)
Runs: 1, Williams, Naylor, Yerzy
Doubles: 1, Yerzy, Van Rycheghem
Home Runs: 1, Naylor
RBIs: 2, Naylor
Strikeouts: 3, McAffer; 2, Brettell
The juniors will play their final doubleheader of the Dominican Summer League Camp tomorrow before wrapping up on Friday against the MLB Prospects. Game one will see Tyler Whitbread (Camlachie, Ont.) take the mound against the DSL Tigers at 10:30am ET, while Nick Virdo (Brampton, Ont.) gets the nod against the DSL Royals at 2:30pm in Game 2 … You can get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter.