Laurier takes pair from Ryerson
The Laurier Golden Hawks were scheduled to play Waterloo this weekend, but mother nature had other ideas as we got 4 1/2 innings into game one when the skies opened up. The game was tied 4-4 with Waterloo batting in the bottom of the fifth when the game was stopped. It will be re-played in it’s entirety, along with Game 2, at a later date.
Laurier swept a double header from the Ryerson Rams on Sunday by scores of 15-5 and 10-3. These games were Ryerson home games, but played at Bechtel Park as their park was unavailable due to a busted pipe at the shrine known as Talbot Park.
Laurier 15 Ryerson 5
Capitalizing on some walks and after starting slow, Laurier had a couple of big innings that put this one out of reach. Starter, Adam McBride was good who received production from up and down the line-up.
123 456 7 R H E
Laurier 102 641 1 -- 15 16 2
Ryerson 002 002 1 -- 5 12 3
- CF Adam Raithby 2 for 3 with 3 RBI, a run scored, walk and stolen base
- DH Adam Shaver 2 for 3 with 2 RBI and a walk
- 3B Jeff Hunt 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- C Jonathan Fagnola 2 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- 2B Matt Voight 2 for 4 with 3 runs scored, a stolen base and a walk
- SS Cal Murphy 2 for 5 with an RBI double
- 1B John King 1 for 1 with 3 walks, 4 runs scored and a stolen base
- RF Alex Kupchak 1 for 2 with a double, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored and 2 walks
- Brett Medland, Nathan Folo
- Daniel Apostoli (2); Nic Lannutti
- Adam McBride gets the win going five innings giving up two runs (one earned) on seven hits with 0 walks and 2 strikeouts
- Austin Hassani worked 1 inning giving up 2 runs on 2 hits with a strikeout
- Tanner Goldsmith worked 1 inning giving up 1 run on 3 hits
Laurier 10 Ryerson 3
The Hawks came out of the gates swinging with five consecutive hits to start the ball game and build up a good lead early. This was our best offensive game in terms of hard hit balls and shows all the work our hitters are putting in is paying off.
123 456 7 R H E
Laurier 313 300 0 -- 10 13 1
Ryerson 100 020 0 -- 3 6 0
- RF Alex Kupchak 2 for 2 with a triple, 2 RBI, run scored and walk
- DH Brett Medland 2 for 2
- CF Adam Raithby 2 for 3 with an RBI, run scored and 3 stolen bases
- C Ryley Davenport 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored and stolen base
- 3B Jeff Hunt 1 for 2 with 3 runs scored, 2 walks and 4 stolen bases
- 1B John King 1 for 3 with a double, run scored, stolen base and 3 RBI
- SS Robbie Cant 1 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI and run scored
- DH Adam Shaver, 2B Brandon Washkevich
- Andrew Ziedins gets the win going 4 innings giving up 1 run on 2 hits with 3 walks and 1 strikeout
- Zach Lawrence goes 1 inning giving up 2 runs on 2 hits with a HBP
- Nick Murray goes 1 scoreless inning giving up 1 hit with 1 walk and a strikeout
- Jake Tougas works a scoreless inning giving up 1 hit with 1 walk and a striekout
The Hawks host the Great Lakes Canadians U18 team Wednesday for a non-conference game and then have double headers next weekend at Brock and Western.