JNT Extended Spring: Braves too much for juniors
April 18th, 2016
By Adam Morissette
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – A five-run bottom of the first inning gave the Atlanta Braves prospects all of the offence they would need as they went on to hand the Junior National Team a 12-1 loss as the extended spring training camp continued today.
Event: Extended Spring Training
Score: Atlanta Braves 12 Canada (U18) 1
Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports – Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Canada U18 Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis – CF
2. Adam Hall – SS
3. Dondrae Bremner - EH
4. Andrew Yerzy – C
5. Noah Naylor – DH
6. Clayton Keyes – RF
7. Brad Aldred – 3B
8. Jason Willow – 2B
9. Luke Van Rycheghem – EH
10. Isaac Deveaux - LF
11. Michael Stovman – 1B
12. Steven Moretto – EH
Starting Pitcher: RHP Josh Burgmann
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Three consecutive singles off JNT starter Josh Burgmann (Nanaimo, BC) to start the bottom of the first led to two runs before the Braves added three more on an error, wild pitch and RBI single.
- The juniors answered back in the third as Brad Aldred (Whitby, Ont.) reached and moved to second base on an error before moving to third on a ground out and later coming in to score on a wild pitch.
- The Braves added another run off Burgmann in the third on a RBI single before they plated three runs in the fourth off of reliever Mathieu Deneault-Gauthier (Candiac, Que.). A lead off triple scored on an ensuing single before a RBI double brought in one, and a two-out single brought in the other run.
- The Braves put the finishing touches on the scoreboard in the seventh as they scored three runs on an error, single, hit by pitch and two walks with reliever Sam Turcotte (Toronto, Ont.) on the mound.
- The juniors were limited to just four hits on the afternoon as Steven Moretto (Burnaby, BC) doubled, while Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.), Isaac Deveaux (Montreal, Que.) and Aldred each had singles.
- Although he was touched up for five earned runs, JNT starter Burgmann gave Braves’ hitters a tough time in the batter’s box as he registered six strikeouts over three innings of work.
Hits: 1, Moretto (1/2), Naylor (1/3), Aldred (1/3), Deveaux (1/2)
Runs: 1, Aldred
Doubles: 1, Moretto
Strikeouts: 6, Burgmann; 2, Deneault-Gauthier, Turcotte
After three games against the Atlanta Braves farmhands, the juniors will play a different organization Tuesday as they’ll face a prospects squad from the Washington Nationals organization at 1pm ET … LHP Wesley Moore (Surrey, BC) is expected to start on the mound.