Two hits each for Hall, Julien, Moretto and Yerzy in loss to Astros
JNT Extended Spring: Astros outslug juniors
April 21st, 2016
By Adam Morissette
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida – A prospects squad from the Houston Astros organization brought their bats to Disney as they pounded out 18 hits en route to a 19-5 win over the Junior National Team.
Event: Extended Spring Training
Score: Houston Astros 19 Canada (U18) 5
Location: ESPN Wide World of Sports – Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Canada U18 Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis – CF
2. Adam Hall - DH
3. Dondrae Bremner - SS
4. Andrew Yerzy – EH
5. Noah Naylor - EH
6. Clayton Keyes – EH
7. Michael Stovman - LF
8. Luke Van Rycheghem - C
9. Steven Moretto – 3B
10.Edourd Julien – 2B
11. Brad Aldred – RF
12. Soren Graversen – 1B
Starting Pitcher: LHP Jack DeCooman
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Astros scored early and often as they scored three runs in each of the first, second, third and fourth inning before putting up a two spot in the fifth and another three in the sixth.
- A leadoff triple in the top of the first set the tone for the Astros who had a RBI triple later in the frame followed by another run scoring three bagger in the second inning.
- The Juniors responded with three runs of their own in the home half of the second inning as Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) led off with a single and scored on a Steven Moretto (Burnaby, BC) double before Edouard Julien’s (Québec, Que.) single cashed in two.
- In the third, the Astros used four hits including a two run homer to regain their six run lead.
- Cooper Davis (Mississauga, Ont.) reached on a bunt with two out in the third and scored on an Adam Hall (London, Ont.) triple to give the juniors their fourth run of the game.
- After the Astros put up three more runs in the fourth, Andrew Yerzy (Toronto, Ont.) led off the bottom of the inning with a double and later scored from third on a wild pitch.
- A walk, two single and a passed ball gave the Astros two more runs in the fifth before they added three more in the sixth that included a RBI triple, one of five triples they hit on the afternoon.
- They would go on to add two more runs in the eighth on a walk, triple and RBI groundout.
- It was a tough afternoon for the Junior National Team pitching staff as the Astros scored in all but two innings. Carson Perkins (Bienfait, Sask.) was able to put up zeroes in both the seventh and ninth innings that included facing the minimum amount of batters in each frame.
- The juniors reached double digits in hits for the second consecutive game as they banged out ten hits with Hall, Yerzy, Moretto and Julien having two hit games.
Hits: 2, Hall (2/3), Yerzy (2/3), Moretto (2/3), Julien (2/3); 1, Davis (1/3), Naylor (1/2)
Runs: 1, Davis, Yerzy, Naylor, Stovman, Moretto
Doubles: 2, Yerzy; 1, Moretto, Hall
Triples: 1, Hall
RBI: 2, Julien; 1, Hall, Moretto
Strikeouts: 3, DeCooman; 2, Perkins; 1, Angel
The extended spring training camp continues at ESPN Wide World of Sports Friday when the juniors take on a prospects squad from the Detroit Tigers organization at 1pm ET … RHP Josh Burgmann (Nanaimo, BC) is scheduled to start on the mound.