Dominican Summer League: Pitching continues to impress as juniors top Cubs
May 21st, 2015
By Adam Morissette
LA GINA, Dominican Republic – Wesley Moore (Surrey, BC) and Carson Perkins (Bienfait, Sask.) limited the Chicago Cubs Dominican squad to just one run and six hits, while Andrew Yerzy (Toronto, Ont.) drove in three runs as the Junior National Team handed the Cubs a 5-1 loss. The win improves the Junior National Team’s record to 3-1 with ten games remaining in the Dominican Summer League tour.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Score: Canada (U-18) 5 DSL Cubs 1
Location: Chicago Cubs Dominican Complex – La Gina, DR
Weather: 32 degrees Celsius, Mainly sunny
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis - DH
2. Noah Naylor – 3B
3. Adam Hall - SS
4. Andrew Yerzy – C
5. Clayton Keyes - DH
6. Edouard Julien – 2B
7. Steven Moretto – DH
8. Luke Van Rycheghem – DH
9. Jason Willow - LF
10. Robbie Holmes – 1B
11. Terrell Rogers – RF
12. Tyler Duncan - CF
Starting Pitcher: LHP Wesley Moore
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adam Hall (London, Ont.) got things going in the top of the first as he hit a double down the right field line with two out, and Andrew Yerzy hit a sharp single up the middle to stake the juniors out to an early 1-0 lead.
- Back to back doubles to start the bottom of the second off JNT starter Moore knotted the score at 1-1.
- The juniors retook the lead in the second as Steven Moretto (Burnaby, BC) led off with a single and scored all the way from first base when Jason Willow (Victoria, BC) doubled down the left field line.
- In the third, Tyler Duncan (Sooke, BC) doubled down the right field line and a pair of Cubs’ errors followed that allowed him to score as the JNT built a 3-1 lead.
- In the sixth, walks to Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) and Hall set the stage for Yerzy who doubled to right to drive in his second and third runs of the game.
- Moore’s outing in not begin well as he allowed back-to-back doubles in the bottom of the first that put the Cubs on the scoreboard, but he settled in after that giving the juniors five solid innings on the mound. Moore allowed just three hits and a walk the rest of the way and added four strikeouts.
- Perkins kept things going when he took over in relief in the sixth and proceeded to retire seven batters in a row until allowing a walk and a single in the eighth. With runners on a second and third, Perkins registered a strikeout to leave them stranded. His four scoreless innings saw him allow just one hit and two walks, while he struck out two.
- Yerzy kept his strong week going with a pair of hits including an RBI single in the fist and a two run double in the sixth. He now has eight RBI through the first four games of the trip.
- Duncan had two hits as well, both doubles, and scored a run.
Hits: 2, Yerzy (2/4), Duncan (2/3); 1, Davis (1/4), Hall (1/2), Moretto (1/3), Willow (1/3)
Runs: 2, Hall; 1, Naylor, Moretto, Duncan
Doubles: 2, Duncan; 1, Yerzy, Hall, Willow
RBIs: 3, Yerzy; 1, Willow
Stolen Bases: 1, Hall
Strikeouts: 4, Moore; 2, Perkins
The juniors will return to Guerra for a 10:30am ET game against the Houston Astros ... LHP Jaden Griffin (Lower Sackville, NS) is slated to start on the mound…You can get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter