Dominican Summer League: Juniors fall to Astros
May 22nd, 2016
By Adam Morissette
GUERRA, Dominican Republic – After four strong games in the Dominican Republic, the Junior National Team ran into some adversity today against the Houston Astros Dominican prospects and came out on the wrong end of a 13-6 decision. The juniors committed five errors, walked six and allowed thirteen hits including a pair of home runs. The loss puts the Junior National Team’s record at 3-2 with nine games remaining on the tour.
Score: DSL Astros 13 Canada (U-18) 6
Location: Houston Astros Dominican Complex – Guerra, DR
Weather: 32 degrees Celsius, Mainly sunny
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis - CF
2. Noah Naylor – DH
3. Adam Hall - DH
4. Andrew Yerzy – DH
5. Dondrae Bremner - SS
6. Steven Moretto – 3B
7. Michael Stovman – DH
8. Jason Willow – 2B
9. Edouard Julien – LF
10. Soren Graversen – 1B
11. Victor Cerny – C
12. Terrell Rogers – RF
Starting Pitcher: LHP Jaden Griffin
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Things did not start off well for JNT starter Jaden Griffin (Lower Sackville, NS) who, after a one out error, allowed four hits including an RBI double and a two run triple as the Astros staked themselves out to an early 4-0 lead.
- And it didn’t get much better in the second as a leadoff triple to left came around to score on an RBI groundout before a double moved to third on an error before scoring on another RBI groundout that put the Astros up 6-0.
- With reliever Ben Abram (Georgetown, Ont.) on the mound, a solo home run with one out made the score 7-0 before the juniors got on the board in the fifth.
- Two walks to open the inning put Noah Naylor (Mississauga, Ont.) on second base which set the stage for Jason Willow (Victoria, BC) who ripped a double to left to score one before two more walks brought in another. With one out, Luke Van Rycheghem (Kent Bridge, Ont.) lifted a fly ball to right that allowed Willow to tag and score the third run of the inning.
- The Astros got one of the runs back in the home half of the inning as a one out double that bounced and hit of the glove of Cooper Davis in centerfield put a runner on third who later scored on a wild pitch.
- In the sixth, Steven Moretto (Burnaby, BC) singled with one out and scored when Adam Hall (London, Ont.) laced an opposite field triple to the gap in right. Hall then scored on a groundout off the bat of Andrew Yerzy (Toronto, Ont.).
- Jason Willow walked with two out in the seventh and three wild pitches later crossed home plate to bring the juniors to within two of the lead.
- The Astros put the game out of reach in the bottom of the seventh with the majority of the damage coming on a three run home run that cleared the fence in right field to put them up 13-6.
- Hall who is celebrating his 17th birthday had a pair of extra-base hits including a double in the first inning and an RBI triple in the sixth. He added a walk in the ninth to reach base on three of his four plate appearances.
- Yerzy collected his ninth RBI of the week as he cashed in Hall in the sixth on a ground out. He also singled and walked twice.
Hits: 2, Hall (2/3), Naylor (2/4); Yerzy (1/2), Stovman (1/3), Willow (1/2), Moretto (1/3)
Runs: 2, Moretto, Willow; 1, Stovman, Hall
Doubles: 1, Willow, Hall
Triples: 1, Hall
RBIs: 1, Hall, Yerzy, Willow, Graversen, Van Rycheghem
Strikeouts: 3, Griffin, Abram, Leach
The juniors will play the first of two consecutive days of doubleheaders tomorrow when they play the Tampa Bay Rays Dominican prospects at 10:30am ET followed by a matinee contest against the New York Yankees ... RHP Tim Walters (Roberts Creek, BC) is slated to start against the Rays, while Josh Burgmann (Nanaimo, BC) gets the nod against the Yankees … You can get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter.