Dominican Summer League: Mariners top juniors
May 25, 2016
By Adam Morissette
BOCA CHICA, DR – The Seattle Mariners Dominican prospects built a five run lead after five innings and held off a late surge from the Junior National Team to come away with a 6-4 victory.
The loss puts the Junior National Team’s record at an even 5-5 with four games remaining, including two tomorrow, on the Dominican Summer League tour.
Score: DSL Mariners 6 Canada (U-18) 4
Location: Seattle Mariners Dominican Complex – Boca Chica, DR
Weather: 30 degrees Celsius, Mostly Cloudy
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Cooper Davis - DH
2. Noah Naylor- DH
3. Adam Hall - SS
4. Andrew Yerzy – C
5. Clayton Keyes – CF
6. Dondrae Bremner – DH
7. Jason Willow – 2B
8. Tyler Duncan – RF
9. Steven Moretto – 3B
10. Luke Van Rycheghem - DH
11. Terrell Rogers - LF
12. Robbie Holmes – 1B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Carson Perkins
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the second inning as a one out double off JNT starter Carson Perkins (Bienfait, Sask.) came around to score on a two out double to left followed by the third double of the inning to make it 2-0.
- They kept things going in the third as a leadoff single advanced to third on a groundout and scored on a single to right with two out. The throw home allowed the batter to reach second and he scored on a single to right.
- The juniors got one of the runs back in the top of the fourth. Luke Van Rycheghem (Kent Bridge, Ont.) tripled to the gap in left to lead off the inning and he scored on a two out throwing error.
- The Mariners took advantage of a lead off walk issued by reliever Wesley Moore (Surrey, BC) to start the fifth by using a double to plate a run before a wild pitch and sacrifice fly brought in another to make it 6-1.
- Clayton Keyes (Calgary, Alta.) opened the sixth by scorching a triple over the centerfielder’s head and he scored when Dondrae Bremner (Toronto, Ont.) followed with a sharp single to right field. The juniors had a chance to add more runs as they loaded the bases after a nit batter and a walk before Bremner was forced out at home, while Edouard Julien (Québec City, Que.) was caught stealing at home on a ball that got to the back stop.
- The juniors made things interesting as they plated a pair of runs in the eight to pull within two runs of the lead. Bremner led off with a single and moved to third when Tyler Duncan (Sooke, BC) singled to right before coming in to score on a wild pitch. With two out and Duncan on third base, Van Rycheghem picked up his second hit of the game when he legged out an infield single that brought in Duncan from third.
- Van Rycheghem smacked a triple in the fourth for the Junior National Team’s first hit and base runner of the game, and he would later add an RBI single in the eighth for a 2-for-3 day at the plate.
- Bremner also collected two hit and drove in one run to go along with a run scored.
- After giving up a pair of runs in the fifth, JNT reliever Moore kept the Mariners off the scoreboard for three innings allowing a single and three walks in the process. He finished his four-inning outing with four strikeouts.
Hits: 2, Van Rycheghem (2/3), Bremner (2/3); 1, Keyes (1/3), Duncan (1/2), Stovman (1/1)
Runs: 1, Van Rycheghem, Keyes, Bremner, Duncan
Triples: 1, Van Rycheghem, Keyes
RBIs: 1, Bremner, Van Rycheghem
Strikeouts: 4, Moore; 3, Perkins
The juniors will play their fourth and final doubleheader tomorrow first travelling to Guerra in the morning to play the Philadelphia Phillies Dominican prospects at 10:30am ET before heading to San Pedro de Macoris in the afternoon to face the Detroit Tigers Dominican squad … RHP Tim Walters (Gibsons, BC) is scheduled to start against the Phillies, while Jaden Griffin (Lower Sackville, NS) will get the ball against the Tigers…You can get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter.